Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Welcome to Ytossie Fandango!

Hello and welcome to Ytossie Fandago, my blog about TV, politics and rock music criticism. Why Ytossie Fandango? Well, Ytossie Fandango was the title of a press release I once wrote for Lookout! Records. The title, of course, was in reference to my favorite cast member of the ORIGINAL "Temptation Island," Ytossie, an LA native, who was "30," who belonged in restraints in a mental health facility, and who was later thrown off the show for neglecting to mention that she had a kid with Taheed. (This season was brilliantly skewered on Salon.com by the super talented and now with Entertainment Weekly critic Carina Chocano.) So, I sent the press release out only to be abused by LA weirdo and ex-Mr. Courtney Love, "Falling James" of the massively unsuccessful band The Leaving Trains, from his lofty perch at LA Weekly. He accused me of insiderism and writing infuriating nonsense--arguing in an unhinged way that no one on his staff knew what I was talking about. He later cemented his reputation in my mind as the second biggest crackpot in rock journalism (you're still having fun and you're still #1, Mr. Jane Dark) by emailing that I should never reference my pride in my Turkish American heritage because, "Study your history! The Turks are guilty of genocide!" What that has to do with growing up in Raleigh, NC, listening to my Da misconfigure English verbs, and make his own weirdly parsley-intense salad dressings, is lost on me. In any case, I was rebuked, along political lines, by a music critic who didn't get my reality TV reference--see the beauty? Ytossie? Fandango!
More to come, I promise. I have comments on the Kerry windsurfing ad, the Cat Stevens/Yusef Islam deplaning, and so much more....Ytossie Fandango, my darlings! xo Tristin

No comments: