Friday, September 24, 2004

Putney Nope

Lots of actors wanna be musicians. I don't know why. Actors, I guess, are people whose profession is derived primarily from their looks. Musicians, on the other hand, base their careers on sex appeal. Except the ones I represent. I kid, I kid! Anyway, some thespian jammers are awful ( Cybill Shepherd , Minnie Driver); some are comical (Jada Pinkett-Smith, Juliette Lewis, Billy Bob Thornton) and some are just sad. In the latter category, consider the forthcoming release from Robert Downey, Jr. Sony Classical (Yeah, that's right; SONY CLASSICAL) has announced that they are releasing his opus on November 23rd and that it will include covers of Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" and Yes' "Your Move." It seems that little mister "My-More Talented-Daddy-Gave-Me-Pot-When-I Was-8 -So-It's-Not-My-Fault-That-I-Am-A-Junkie-On-Ally-McBeal-Who-Climbs-Into-Children's-Beds-At-Night" has enlisted some pretty heavy hitters at the helm. In additon to noted (yet apparently hard up for cash) jazz musician Charlie Haden, the album will be produced by Mark Hudson. Now this entire comedic episode was brought to my attention by my wonderful boyfriend, Charles, who then had to explain to me that The Hudson Brothers had a 70's variety TV show, in which they wore jumpsuits and had handlebar mustaches. Now, however, they have remade themselves as sort of Desmond Child--like hitmakers. I guess that, like Huey Lewis sang so rightly, the heart of rock and roll *IS* still beating.

No comments: